Saturday, May 21, 2011

{Random Things} I have the decorating itch.....

I'm not sure why, but I always get excited to take on new projects at home.  It's been a few months since I've really been working on a home decor project, and I kind of want to do a little update to one of the rooms we haven't touched yet.  I was thinking either the main floor bathroom or the laundry room because they don't really feel like ours yet.  They are in the exact same state the former owners left them in.  

Our main floor bathroom is basically a blank canvas.  The wall color is a nice neutral brownish tan, but I think it could use a little sprucing up. Here are a few pics of what it looked like when the former owners had it, and what it looks like now (which is pretty boring).  


I really like these stencils I found, and thought they might be a good choice to do on the main wall in the bathroom.

Image Credits: Cutting Edge Stencils

I think the left and middle ones might be my favorite.  The one on the right might be a little too modern for the rest of our house, and I'd like to keep things somewhat cohesive on the main floor.  I also like that I could leave the paint as is, and then just stencil over to create a whole new look.  These look like such a great alternative to wallpaper, which I'm loving right now, and it would be a lot less expensive.  

As far as art for the bathroom goes, I was thinking of doing some framed architectural drawings (which being an architecture buff, I love).  There are so many that I like, but here are a couple examples of some.

Photo Credits: Art.com
The laundry room is a disaster.  I've never really taken the time to organize it, and it ends up being the dumping spot for stuff I don't know what to do with.  Here are a few pictures of the laundry room, again, the first from the previous owner and the last two of what it looks like now (which is pretty scary).  



In here I think I want to paint it a bright blue, like maybe Tiffany Blue, and just add some decorative touches.  Then of course organize, organize, organize.  I truly believe that if a room is pretty, you'll want to be in it, even if it is to do laundry.  Here are a few inspirational images I've found.

Photo Credits: Design Sponge, Great Interior Design, and Pink Balloons & Macarons.

I would definitely want to paint all the walls, and I think I could round up enough stuff that I wouldn't really have to buy too many "new" items.

I have a busy couple of months coming up, but I think each of these could easily be done in a day or two.  Something to think about for sure.  
  

4 comments:

  1. Fun projects! My vote is for the aqua for the laundry room (far right), then take down the shelf and buy a large white cabinet (Ikea?)for storage in the corner. Maybe you could mount one of these garment rods for hanging those items that need air drying. http://www.kitchensource.com/laundry/ha-1117.htm

    You're inspiring me to do something around my house...hmmmm...what will it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stencil in the middle and that blue laundry room is GORGEOUS! Such a fun color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jene: The more I thought about it last night, the more I thought I should work on the laundry room first. I think it will have the most impact on our day to day lives. I definitely want to put something in to organize that wall/corner. I was thinking about possibly trying to build my own built-in so that I can set it up to be perfectly functional.

    Megan: That's definitely my favorite too! The more I look at it the more I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun laundry ideas! I just bought the stencil on the right for the salon I am designing and it is so great, but I agree it is pretty modern! I vote for the left one for your space. :) xo, Courtney

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2012. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Serendipitous Things Design Co.