Friday, July 29, 2011

{Soirees} Party Popper Invitation DYI


Hey everybody!  I've been very excited to show you the invitations we used to for my friend Amber's upcoming baby shower.  Instead of just showing you the finished product, I thought I would show you all how I made them.  

I first stumbled upon the idea from Oh Happy Day, and then I adjusted it a little bit to suit my needs.  I was very happy with the finished results.  If you do make these you may want to put a warning label on them because boy are they loud when they go off.  

Alright, now for my very first blog DYI.  I hope you all enjoy it!


Supplies I used for this project:
- Twistable party poppers (I purchased mine on clearance at a party supply store.)
- Confetti (I made my own using a raindrop punch, and mixed it with a sparkly pre-made confetti.)
- String or thread
- Tape (I used washi tape.)
- Circle cutter
- Scissors
- Hole punches
- Exacto knife
- Scoring Board (I used this to fold the invitation accordion style.)
- Invitation (I made my own.  The dimensions I used were 1"x 4.25".)
- Labels (I used Avery 5168 labels.)


For my invitation, I just used card stock.  I printed a stripe pattern on the back, and then printed the information on the front.  Then, I scored it to make it fold like an accordion.   


You could just pop every popper, but that gets old fast.  Instead I just removed the paper top and label, and then dumped the confetti out.  


To take apart the popper, I put one hand on the twistable base and the other hand on the main stationary part.  Then I just wiggled it until it came apart.  Then to take apart the rest you push down on the top and twist until it comes off.   


I chose to attach the invite with a piece of string.  When testing the poppers, I found that the invitation can really shoot out, and the recipient could completely miss it.  


Make sure you feed the string through the spring and through the hole of the top piece.


Yet another thing I discovered during testing.  If you don't tape off these holes, all your confetti falls through.  I used a washi tape because its thin enough (not too strong) that it'll still allow the string to feed through.




I used a tiny hole punch to create a hole for the string to go through, and then just tied it in a bow.  


For the poppers I bought 1 1/2" was the perfect size circle for the top.


Again, I used washi tape because I knew it would break easy when the popper was twisted.  If you were to use to strong of tape everything might not "pop" the way it's suppose to.  


After stuffing the invite inside, use the circle and tape you cut to seal off the top.   


To make my labels, I found and image on iStock, and then used Photoshop to design the rest.  If you don't have Photoshop, you could probably easily use Microsoft Word or Pages to whip something up too.  


There you have it.  These were pretty easy to make, and have a much bigger "wow" factor than your traditional baby shower invitations.  

I hope you all enjoyed the DYI.  Have a splendid weekend!  

1 comment:

 

© 2012. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Serendipitous Things Design Co.